Hairstylist Level 2 Apprenticeship
An important note about our Hairstylist Level 2 program:
The March – June 2020 Hairstylist Level 2 intake has been deferred, with a new start date yet to be determined.
Hairstylist 2 – Blended Delivery is a thirteen-week program consisting of twelve weeks of on-line learning delivery followed by one week of in-class training. Several institutions are involved in this joint delivery, with Vancouver Island University delivering the on-line portion. The one week of in-class training will be offered at College of the Rockies if sufficient registrations are received. A decision on the College’s training will be made on or before March 18 and emailed to all registered students. Attendance at in-class training is a required component of the Level 2 program. If College of the Rockies does not receive sufficient registrations to deliver the in-class training, you would need to choose an alternate location to complete this component (tentatively Selkirk College, Vancouver Island University, or Vancouver Community College). If the College’s in-class training does not run, and you are unable to attend the in-class portion of the program at an alternate location, you will need to withdraw from the program. Your tuition will be fully refunded as long as the withdrawal takes place prior to the start of the program.
Hairstylist Level 2 Program Overview
In order to take this program, you must be a sponsored apprentice who has successfully completed a Hairstylist Foundation program or Hairstylist Level 1.
- The Hairstylist Level 2 Apprenticeship program is for hairstylists who hold the Industry Training Authority (ITA) Level 1 Certificate of Completion or graduates of the Apprenticeship Level 1 program.
- 12 weeks online training – approximately 10 hours per week – delivered by Vancouver Island University (VIU).
- One week classroom training – approximately 30 hours
- Upon successful completion of your technical training (online and classroom) you will receive Level 2 technical training credit and write the Interprovincial Red Seal Exam on the last day of your classroom training.
To view the official program outline, see: Hairstylist Apprenticeship Level 2
- Advanced Client Service
- Advanced Haircutting Techniques
- Advanced Hairstyling
- Chemical Relaxing of Hair
- Advanced Hair Colouring
- Specialized Services
- Business Management
You will also receive a refresher on the following topics:
- Hygiene, Sanitation and Disinfection Practices
- Use and Maintenance of Tools and Equipment
- Hair and Scalp Care
Online Portion: March 23 – June 12, 2020 – delivered by Vancouver Island University (VIU).
There are no set hours for the online portion of this program, but you can expect to spend approximately 10 hours per week on coursework.
Classroom Training: June 15-18, 2020
Interprovincial Red Seal Exam: June 19, 2020
You will write the Interprovincial Red Seal Exam on the last day of your classroom training.
Note: Start dates are projected. All dates subject to change. Contact us for more information.
To register for this program, contact email@example.com or call the Cranbrook Campus.
Tuition and Fees:
|Student Association Fee:||$11.50|
*These prices are for domestic students and may not be 100% accurate. However, these estimates will give you an adequate idea of tuition and fees for our programs. These prices do not include textbook costs. All prices are subject to change. Tuition fees include an alumni fee, student activity fees, and a student technology fee. In certain cases a materials and supply fee may also be included. For more information, visit: Tuition and Fees.
Textbooks: (You will require only one of the following textbooks)
- Pivot Point Cosmetology Fundamentals
- Milady Standard Cosmetology
- Milady Standard Cosmetology E-Book (available through the online learning platform for $167.00)
- 1 x Four quadrant mannequin
- 1 x 14 inch mannequin
|Hairdressing Shears||Texturing Shears|
|Trimmers||Feather razor / extra blades|
|Bobby pins||Styling pins|
|Tint bowl and brush (3)||Cutting and styling combs|
|Styling brushes||Curling irons|
|Hot tools of your choice||Selection of round brushes|
|Hair extensions||Professional styling products|
|Professional colour products||Gloves|
|Cutting cape||Chemical cape|
- Computer, laptop or table running Windows 10
- High speed internet connection
- Word processing program (Microsoft Word 2010 or later)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A digital camera or device such as a smartphone, tablet, iPad or GoPro for capturing images
When you complete your Red Seal program, you can apply for the one-time taxable cash Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) of $2,000.00 after you have been certified in your trade. See: Grants for Apprentices registered in Red Seal Trades.