Transfer Credit Information
Have you completed one or more post-secondary courses? College of the Rockies offers excellent credit transfer opportunities that can help you earn transfer credits toward your current program. These credits can then be used toward fulfilling the requirements of your credential.
What courses are transferable?
Students can receive transfer credit at the College of the Rockies for equivalent courses taken at other institutions. If you want to transfer credits from a BC institution, visit the BC Transfer Guide website to see what courses will transfer. For courses taken at Alberta institutions, please visit the ACAT Transfer website, where College of the Rockies is a member institution. There are currently more than 6,707 course transfer agreements with BC institutions and more than 764 with Alberta institutions.
Even if your course does not appear on the transfer guides above, or was taken outside of BC or Alberta, you can still apply for transfer credit at College of the Rockies. Courses generally receive assigned credit if their learning outcomes are broadly the same.
Course by Course Transfer
Our courses transfer to most post-secondary institutions across Canada.
- Alberta Transfer Website – find out which Alberta college/university our courses transfer to
- BC Transfer Website – find out which BC college/university our courses transfer to
- Education Advisor – contact our advisors for transfer specific questions
*Note: if you are transferring to a college or university outside of BC you need to contact that institution to find out if your courses transfer.
Transferring to a College of the Rockies Program
If you are considering transferring to College of the Rockies from another college or university you could earn credits from some of the courses you have completed.
When can I apply for transfer credit?
Transfer credit will be evaluated after you have been accepted into one of our programs. Once you have been accepted we begin the process of evaluating your courses to determine which transfer credits you are eligible to receive.
- Fall Transfer Deadline: May 15
- Winter Transfer Deadline: October 1
Please note: Applications received after the deadlines will be processed, but results may not be available prior to the start of semester.
Transfer credit applications are processed in the order they are received and evaluations generally take between 4–6 weeks. Once we have evaluated your transfer credit application we will notify you via email. You can also view transfer of credit results on AccessCOTR or on your official transcript. Note that during the summer months there may be delays in posting your transfer credit results on your record.
If you have a transfer credit application pending for a required course, it is recommended that you enroll, pay and attend classes for that course. If your transfer credit application is approved, your tuition will be fully refunded for the transfer course. Do not purchase course textbooks or supplies for a pending transfer course as you will not be reimbursed for used books or supplies.
How can I apply for transfer credits?
- Download and complete the Application for Transfer Credit
- Provide official transcripts from the institutions where you completed courses or let us know that they will be sent from another institution
- Provide course outlines from the year you completed the course:
- Detailed course descriptions
- Course number and name (i. e. ENGL 100)
- Number of hours of lecture and lab
- Number of credit units
- Name of sending institution
- Send us your Application for Transfer Credit Form and course outlines. Please include full name, program(s) applied to, and your College of the Rockies student ID number in your correspondence.
Mail, fax or email your application and your course outlines to:
College of the Rockies Articulation Officer
PO Box 8500, Cranbrook, BC Canada V1C 5L7
- It is your responsibility to match course outlines and look for similarities (usually an 80 percent fit)
- If you are an international student you should contact an International Education Coordinator for transfer credit information.
What are Unassigned Credits?
If you received Unassigned Credit (i.e. ENGL XXX) this indicates that the course transfers, but is not equivalent to a specific course at College of the Rockies. The use of unassigned credit may be applied towards meeting general electives, but not necessarily specific program/graduation requirements. Your unassigned credit does not satisfy pre-requisites for courses.
How are my transfer courses graded?
Grades on transfer courses display on the transcript in one of the following three ways:
- The grade will be the same grade you achieved at the institution you attended.
- When the course you are transferring has a percentage grade, it will be converted to a letter grade related to the percentage grade listed on the College of the Rockies grade scale.
- If more than one transfer course is equivalent to one of the College of the Rockies courses, the grade on the transcript will be TRF (transfer).
Additional transfer information:
For more detailed information please view College of the Rockies’ complete Transfer Credit Policy.
- If you are concerned with your transfer credit evaluation, you may contact the Registrar.
- Transcript evaluation services prior to admission is currently not available
- Courses to be considered must have been successfully completed at an accredited post-secondary institution
- Detailed course outlines or syllabi may be requested
- The maximum allowable transfer credits into a certificate, diploma or degree program at College of the Rockies is 75%
- We reserve the right to deny transfer credit for courses completed 7 or more years before the date of application
- It is your responsibility to avoid duplication of courses
- Transfer credit may be re-assessed upon application to another program
- The minimum letter grade required of a student to obtain transfer credit is sixty percent (60%) or a C letter grade
- Transfer credit that we have accepted may not be accepted by another institution and conversely transfer credit accepted at another institution may not be accepted by our institution. Transfer credit will not be accepted for the purpose of Canada Student Loans or BC Provincial Loans.
Transferring to College of the Rockies (Transfer Agreements with other institutions)
We have transfer agreements that allow you to transfer “blocks” of courses directly into some of our programs. Currently we have agreements with the following institutions:
Visiting students are students from another institution who register for courses at College of the Rockies and plan to transfer those courses back to their home institution. Usually, visiting students require a letter of permission from their home institution to confirm the transfer credit that will be given.
Visiting at College of the Rockies
- Apply for a letter of permission from the institution where you are currently enroled (home institution)
- Submit the letter of permission to the College of the Rockies Registrar.
Visiting at another institution
- Complete a College of the Rockies Letter of Permission form (you must be a student in good standing)
- Submit the form to the College’s Registrar’s Office with a detailed course outline
- The College’s Registrar will determine the transferability of your requested course and send a letter of permission to the teaching institution.
- This letter will indicate that you are a student in good standing and list the course(s) you have permission to take and the equivalent course at the College. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
- When you have completed the course, submit an Application for Transfer Credit to the Articulation Officer along with an official transcript from the teaching institution.
Note: Only courses that are applicable to the College of the Rockies student’s current program of study are considered for approval. Students must achieve a minimum grade of 60% in order to receive transfer of credit.
Transferring from a College of the Rockies Program
Transferring from a College of the Rockies program:
We offer a variety of transfer opportunities for current students. You can take advantage of our many block transfer agreements with colleges and universities across Canada or transfer from one College of the Rockies program to another.
Other transfer information for course by course transfer:
International Transfer Opportunities
Note: While the College makes every effort to ensure that information regarding transfer credit is accurate and up to date, this information is subject to change. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to verify the current status of course or program transferability with receiving institutions.