Tuition, Fee and Refund Policy Information
Tuition for College of the Rockies programs is calculated using “cost-per-credit” or “cost-per-week”. Most of our academic courses are calculated based on a “cost-per-credit” or “cost-per-course” basis and many of our vocational & trades programs are calculated on a “cost-per-week” basis. For tuition and fees for individual programs visit our Programs section.
Note: Tuition fees include an alumni fee, student activity fees, and a student technology fee. In certain cases a materials and supply fee may also be included.
Students 60+ years
- Full payment of fees are required upon registration
- May register after the advertised deadline for fees owing
- May be entitled to *free tuition and *lab fees on courses
*Note: Continuing Education courses, contract training, non-credit and International student fees are not eligible for free tuition and lab fees
Students’ Association fees
For credit-based courses there is an $11.50 Students’ Association fee for each course to a maximum of 3 courses per semester for $34.50. Some programs (Trades, Vocational & Health) are charged based on the length of program. For these programs the Students’ Association fee is $2.30 per week of study (an 8 week program is charged $2.30 x 8 weeks = $18.40).
When a course has a required lab component there is an additional $27.37 fee per course credit to a maximum of 3 credits or $82.11 per course.
Bus Pass fees
If you are enrolled in full-time studies, your Bus Pass provides you with unlimited access to public transit in the Cranbrook area and free swimming at the RecPlex during designated times. This fee only applies to students enrolled in an on-campus program at the Cranbrook and Gold Creek campuses (online students are not required to pay bus pass fees).
- If you are taking 3 or more courses during a semester a mandatory Bus Pass fee of $44.40 will be charged for Fall and Winter semesters and $22.20 for Spring and Summer semesters.
- If you are taking 1 directed studies course, a mandatory Bus Pass fee of $44.40 will be charged for Fall and Winter semesters and $22.20 for Spring and Summer semesters.
- If you are a Foundation Trades student you will be charged a Bus Pass fee according to the length of your program.
Health and Dental Plan fee
An annual fee of $229.50 is charged to full-time students for the Health and Dental Plan. This plan provides you with extended health and dental coverage for some of those services not covered by the BC MSP and other health-care programs. For detailed information of the plan visit the COTRSA Studentcare website.
Required Health and Dental Plan enrolment:
- Students registered in the Fall Term in nine credits or more
- English Language Program (ELP) students taking two or more courses
- Students enrolled in full-time programs lasting for at least nine weeks of study
Textbook costs are not included in tuition and fees. We recommend you budget $200.00 per course for textbooks. This is an estimate as all courses/programs have different textbook requirements.
Many of our adventure, trades and vocational programs have additional fees that can include:
- Field fees
- Equipment fees
- Salon fees
- Toolbox fees
- PVHE-100 – OFA Level 1 fee (Occupational First Aid Level 1)
- PVHE-701 – TDG fee (Transportation of Dangerous Goods)
- PVHE-700 – WHMIS fee (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
Payments & Deferrals
Tuition fee deadlines for all programs with semestered courses:
- Fall 2023 semester deadline: August 4, 2023
- Winter 2024 semester deadline: November 17, 2023
- Spring 2023 and 2024 semester deadlines: start of class
Tuition fee dues dates for Child, Youth and Family Studies, Fire Services, Health, Office Administration, and Trades/Apprenticeship students are indicated on admission letters.
Fees may be paid by one of the following methods:
- Online using AccessCOTR. Login to your student account and select the Student menu. Select View Account and Make Payments under Financial Information.
- Internet or telephone banking at most financial institutions.
- In-person at any campus
- By credit card – Phone: 250-489-8237 or Toll Free: 1-877-489-2687 x3237
Methods of payment include:
- Cheque payable to College of the Rockies
- Money order payable to the College of the Rockies
For some vocational & trades programs a $200.00 non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required. The deposit will be applied to your tuition fees. The date of the balance owing varies as outlined in your admission letter.
All assessed fees (tuition, emergency loans, overdue library book fines, etc) must be paid in full before a student is allowed to register/re-register for a program/course, attend classes, or receive a statement of grades, official transcript, or credential.
Student loan deferral information
If you have applied for a Student Loan and would like your fees deferred you must provide proof of Student Financial Assistance application and/or Notification of Assessment.
All tuition and outstanding fees owing on your student account will be deducted from your first Student Financial Assistance disbursement. Any additional fees will be deducted from your second Student Financial Assistance disbursement. If your loan or award does not cover all outstanding fees, you are required to submit payment on or before the established payment due dates. These dues dates are published and posted in all student services areas in the College.
Full or part-time students registered in Adult Upgrading, University Studies, Vocational and Trades Foundation programs will be refunded as follows:
- Withdrawal within 14 days following the first instructional day of the program: 75% (seventy-five percent) of the tuition fees paid.
- Withdrawal within 28 days following the first instructional day of the program: 50% (fifty percent) of the tuition fees paid.
- Withdrawal more than 28 days following the first instructional day of the program: No refund.
- Students registered in Trades Apprenticeship programs will not receive a refund once the program has started.
- International students refer to policy 2.2.6 Tuition Refunds for International Students.
- Third party sponsor payments – refunds will be paid directly to original payer.
- Credit card payments – any refunds will be credited to original credit card.