Aboriginal Education Support Worker
The Aboriginal Education Support Workers diploma is designed to prepare you with the knowledge and skills to better support Aboriginal students, their families and school communities in a culturally appropriate and respectful manner. The program includes 19 academic, cultural and applied courses, and two practicum experiences.
With an Aboriginal Education Support Workers diploma you may gain employment within:
- An elementary, middle or high school
- Continue on to Bachelor programs in Education, Arts, General Studies or Social Work.
Make a Future Careers in BC Education illustrates career resources for Teaching Assistant and Special Education Assistant jobs.
Refer to: Tuition and Fees Calculator
Program Prerequisites and Transfer Credit
- BC Secondary school graduation or equivalent
- 65% in English 12 or equivalent
- Math 11 or equivalent
- The above are the prerequisites to get into the program; however students must have the necessary prerequisites for each course within the program.
*Aboriginal Education Support Workers students may upgrade the math prerequisite while beginning their studies. the English 12 prerequisite must be in place prior to registering in the program.
- Current immunization record and TB skin test
- Criminal record check
- A signed College of the Rockies self-disclosure form
For more detailed information see University Studies general admission requirements.
At present, It is the responsibility of Aboriginal Education Support students choosing to continue on to the University of Victoria Teacher Education program, or any other BA or BEd program, to consult with their degree-granting institution to confirm the specific prerequisites and course requirements of their desired degree program. These may vary significantly among institutions and degree programs.
Aboriginal Education Support Coordinator
Phone: 250-489-8209 | Toll Free: 1-877-489-2687
For more information on Aboriginal programs, courses and resources please visit the College of the Rockies Indigenous Services site.