Working in Canada

To be able to work in Canada, you must have a valid Social Insurance (SIN) number.

Do not work in Canada if you do not have the proper authorization; if you do you will be asked to leave Canada.

More details on work regulations for students can be viewed at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work.html

Employment with a Study Permit

  • A valid Canada Study Permit is required
  • You must be a full time student in an academic program
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week while class is in session and 40 hours a week during scheduled breaks (such as Christmas)
  • A Canadian Immigration Medical Exam may be required if you are working with children or the elderly

Co-Op Work Permit

Some of College of the Rockies’ programs include work practicum. If you are registered in these programs you are eligible for a valid work permit. 

You can apply for both your study permit and work permit at the same time or can apply for the work permit after arriving in Canada.

To be eligible for this permit:

  • You must have a valid study permit
  • A practicum must be an essential part of your program
  • The practicum length cannot exceed 50% of the total program

Examples of programs with a work practicum are:

  • Tourism Management
  • Recreation Management
  • Hospitality Management

Post-Graduation Work Program

If you graduate from an academic program you can apply for a post-graduation work permit.

To be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit:

  • You must have successfully completed a certificate of at least eight months in length or two year diploma, or the four year Bachelor of Business Administration degree from College of the Rockies
  • A 3 year work permit is available to students that have completed a two year diploma or the four year Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
  • If your program was less than two years (certificate) your work permit length cannot be longer than the length of your program.
  • Only programs that are at least eight months in length are eligible.
  • Make sure you’re eligible for a PGWP before you apply. You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
  • You must have a valid study permit at the time of application.

Note: The Post-Graduation Work Permit is only issued once and cannot be extended.

“Working Holiday” Work Permit

  • Students issued a Working Holiday Permit are eligible to study in Canada for up to 6 months. 
  • For more information on how to obtain a Work Holiday Permit contact the Canadian embassy in your home country.
  • Working holiday permits cannot be obtained in Canada.

Social Insurance Number

  • To obtain a Social Insurance Number you must go to the Canada Access Centre office: 1113 Baker Street, Cranbrook
  • You must present your passport and valid Canada study permit.

Note: Your Social Insurance Number will have an expiry date coinciding with your study permit.