English Language Proficiency Requirements
Demonstrate one of the following:
Complete courses or assessments that demonstrate minimum proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
TOEFL iBT – TOEFL Internet-based test
- Overall 80 with minimum 13 in Reading, 21 in Writing, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking
IELTS Academic – International English language testing system
- Direct entry academic program requirements: Overall 6.0 with no band less than 6.0
- Conditional admit requirements: Overall 6.0 with no band less than 5.5
- English Language Program pathway: Less than 6.0 overall
CAEL-CE – Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Test
- Computer Edition (CE) score of 60 overall (no sub-score less than 60)
Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- PTE Academic – Academic overall 56
College of the Rockies is recognizing the following tests for the Winter 2022, and Spring 2022 semesters.
- Minimum 110
- Minimum score 6.0 Overall (6.5 Overall for PDDB), with no band below 6.0
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the TOEFL ITP Plus for China
- Minimum score 80 overall, with minimum 13 in Reading, 21 in Writing, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking
- An English 12 course or equivalent (English Studies 12, English First Peoples, ENGL 090, ENGL 091, or COMC 100) at the grade needed for your program and four years of full-time instruction in a country where English is the primary language.
- Four consecutive years of recognized instruction at an eligible international secondary school that uses English as the language of instruction but operates in a country where the primary language is not English. These four years must be immediately prior to attending the College. Applicants will need to submit a transcript as soon as possible to the Admissions Office. or
- Successful completion of 6 credits of post-secondary first-year English studies for which the College grants transfer credit.
Countries that Satisfy English Proficiency:
|American Samoa||Anguilla||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Guam||Guyana||Ireland (Republic of Eire)|
|St. Helena||St. Kitts and Nevis||St. Lucia|
|St. Vincent & the Grenadines||Tanzania||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Turks and Caicos||Uganda||USA|
|Virgin Islands (British)||Virgin Islands (US)||Wales|
- A high school academic English course: BC English 12, English Studies 12, English First Peoples, ENGL 090, ENGL 091, or COMC 100 at the grade needed for your program and three years of full-time instruction in an English speaking country.
If you completed instruction in Canada:
- A minimum final grade of 65% in BC English 12 (not including an English as a Second Language course) or equivalent from an approved school or country where English is the principal language; or
- Three consecutive years of recognized, full-time education in English in Canada. Such education must be the completion of BC Grade 12 level or equivalent, and can be a combination of secondary and post-secondary education; or
- Four consecutive years of recognized full-time instruction in a school/institution in Canada in which the primary language of instruction is not English, but where the level of English proficiency required is equivalent to that in English-language schools or institutions in Canada. Such education must be the completion of BC Grade 12 level or equivalent, and can be in a combination of secondary and post-secondary education.