English Language Proficiency Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction at the College, and all applicants, regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, will be required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language prior to admissions to College programs. Applicants whose first language is not English, or who have received their primary education in a language other than English, are required to provide proof of English language proficiency.
Demonstrate one of the following:
Complete courses or assessments that demonstrate minimum proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
TOEFL iBT – TOEFL Internet-based test
- Overall 80 with minimum 13 in Reading, 21 in Writing, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking
IELTS Academic – International English language testing system
- Direct entry academic program requirements: Overall 6.0 with no band less than 6.0
- Conditional admit requirements: Overall 6.0 with no band less than 5.5
- English Language Program pathway: Less than 6.0 overall
CAEL-CE – Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Test
- Computer Edition (CE) score of 60 overall (no sub-score less than 60)
Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- PTE Academic – Academic overall 56
- An English 12 course or equivalent (English Studies 12, English First Peoples, ENGL 090, ENGL 091, or COMC 100) at the grade needed for your program and four years of full-time instruction in a country where English is the primary language.
- Four consecutive years of recognized instruction at an eligible international secondary school that uses English as the language of instruction but operates in a country where the primary language is not English. These four years must be immediately prior to attending the College. Applicants will need to submit a transcript as soon as possible to the Admissions Office. or
- Successful completion of 6 credits of post-secondary first-year English studies for which the College grants transfer credit.
Countries that Satisfy English Proficiency:
|American Samoa||Anguilla||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Guam||Guyana||Ireland (Republic of Eire)|
|St. Helena||St. Kitts and Nevis||St. Lucia|
|St. Vincent & the Grenadines||Tanzania||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Turks and Caicos||Uganda||USA|
|Virgin Islands (British)||Virgin Islands (US)||Wales|
- A high school academic English course: English Studies 12, English First Peoples, ENGL 090, ENGL 091, or COMC 100 at the grade needed for your program and three years of full-time instruction in an English speaking country.
If you completed instruction in Canada:
- A minimum final grade of 65% in BC English 12 (not including an English as a Second Language course) or equivalent from an approved school or country where English is the principal language; or
- Three consecutive years of recognized, full-time education in English in Canada. Such education must be the completion of BC Grade 12 level or equivalent, and can be a combination of secondary and post-secondary education; or
- Four consecutive years of recognized full-time instruction in a school/institution in Canada in which the primary language of instruction is not English, but where the level of English proficiency required is equivalent to that in English-language schools or institutions in Canada. Such education must be the completion of BC Grade 12 level or equivalent, and can be in a combination of secondary and post-secondary education.