Off-Campus Housing Options
- Off-campus housing landlords may require references before agreeing to rent to you. You may also be asked personal questions like “do you have a job?”, etc.
- If you secure housing in advance of attending the College, you may be expected to pay rent for the weeks or months before you arrive in order to hold the rental for you. If possible, we encourage you to take the housing opportunity, despite the extra cost.
- Make sure you know which campus your program is being held at and what the travel distance is from a potential rental to the campus. If you do not have a vehicle, you will want to ensure your housing is located within the same city in which you’re studying. Google Maps can tell you the distance, but keep in mind, weather can impact how long it takes you to commute. Give yourself more than enough time to drive to your campus.
- Move-in dates for off-campus housing are usually the first day of each month. You will likely also be required to give your landlord a full month’s notice when you plan to move out. Your landlord may also require you to pay a damage deposit. This deposit is usually half a month’s rent, and it will be returned to you when you move out, if the property remains in the same condition as when you moved in.
- Many rental units do not come furnished. Ensure you know whether yours is or not, and be prepared to purchase furniture, bedding, kitchen items, etc., after you move in.
- Facebook Marketplace
- Facebook Community Groups
- All Classifieds
- Rent Canada
- If you have your own vehicle, you will want to ensure you have very good winter tires.
- If you do not have your own vehicle, transit options vary based on your location.
- Many of our communities are relatively small, so walking from your rental to where you need to go may be a possibility.
- Biking. No matter what community you’re in, biking is almost always an option, though in winter you’d want a fat-tire bike.
- Some communities have more access to public transportation than others:
- BC Transit operates city busses in Cranbrook that can bring you to many convenient locations, including the Cranbrook main campus.
- BC Transit also offers the Kimberley/Cranbrook Connector as well as buses from Creston, Fernie/Sparwood/Elkford, and Invermere/Golden. *Note: the Creston, Columbia Valley and Elk Valley buses give priority to those travelling for non-emergency medical appointments, though free spaces will be given to the general public.
- Cranbrook also has two taxi services: Star Taxi and Key City Cabs
- Check out the www.Fernie.com website
- “Renting In Fernie” Facebook page
- “Moving to Fernie in 2023/24” Facebook page
- “Fernie & Area Places for Sale, Rent or Lease” Facebook page
- Fernie has the #FernieStokeShuttle during ski season that runs from town to Fernie Alpine Resort.
- Tunnel49 Taxi Service and Kootenay Taxi are the taxi providers in Fernie.
- The city of Creston is mainly serviced by the Creston Valley Cab Co.
- In the Columbia Valley, the CV Transit Service provides service between Canal Flats and Invermere and Edgewater and Invermere. The service operates Monday – Friday on a regular schedule. There is also an on-request service between Radium and Invermere, Monday to Friday between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm.
- The Health Connections Transit bus is also available from Golden to Cranbrook. Though first priority is individuals travelling for non-emergency medical appointments, if there is room, the general public is eligible to use the service as well.
- Mount 7 Taxi is the taxi service for Golden.
The housing market in the College region, like most regions in BC, is very competitive. We recommend you begin your search for off-campus housing as soon as you receive your acceptance letter.
Important Tips and Information
Property Management Companies
Most communities have property management companies. These would be a good resource for rentals. A Google search should help you find ones in the community you will be living in.
Resources for Your Rental Search
If needed on a short-term basis, contact motels in the community you will be staying in to see if they offer monthly rates.