Information for New International Students
Welcoming new International Students: Fall 2023
Since October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of the ArriveCAN app, and any testing and quarantine or isolation requirements ended for all travellers entering Canada by land, air, or sea.
Requirements for travel to Canada
International students are responsible for following all Federal and Provincial Government requirements, the directions of the health regions which they are travelling through, and the directions of College of the Rockies.
To enter Canada, you must:
- Have a valid travel document, such as a passport
- Have the port of entry letter of introduction the visa office sent to you when they approved your study permit* or a valid study permit if it was previously issued
- Have a copy of a valid letter of acceptance (LOA) from College of the Rockies
- Have a valid electronic travel authorization (eTA), a valid visa, or another valid travel document
- Have proof of funds to support your stay in Canada
- Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions (unless a pardon has been granted or deemed rehabilitated)
- Be in good health and have valid immigration medical exam results, if applicable
*Send a copy of your study permit to email@example.com, if you have not yet done so.
Students who meet these requirements should consider the information provided below before planning their travel. For assistance or questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timing of travel
There is no set time frame for you to arrive in Canada before you begin your studies. You should give yourself a reasonable amount of time to settle before studying.
You are not allowed to work on or off Campus until you begin your studies in Canada.
Important dates Fall 2023:
- August 1, 2023: Send travel information to the International Department
- August 18, 2023: Study Permit deadline for international students enrolled this Fall 2023
- August 28 – September 1, 2023 – New International student orientation at Cranbrook main campus
Complete our International Student Arrival Form
When you have booked your flight, please fill out our International Student Arrival Form. You will be asked to upload a copy of your itinerary and quarantine plan. The Arrival Form must be completed at least 5 business days prior to your arrival in Canada.
When we receive your Arrival Form, we will order your mandatory health insurance and arrange free transportation from the Cranbrook airport, if requested (see below).
For the most up to date information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions for international students, please refer to the Government of Canada’s website.
Transportation from the Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
The Cranbrook Campus is served by the Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC). International students arriving to YXC may request free airport transportation to their local accommodations in Cranbrook. College of the Rockies will cover the cost of the transfer, which is provided by Star Taxi, a local taxi company. You can request an airport pick-up by completing the International Student Arrival Form, at least seven days prior to arrival. Costs for using other transportation services will not be covered by the College.
Ensuring healthy and well students
College of the Rockies is committed to ensuring all students’ physical and mental health are considered. The College has a long-term partnership with Guard.me insurance to provide medical insurance coverage through the 90-day waiting period prior to MSP for new students, access to keepme.SAFE for mental health support for all international students, sharing information on how to access Here to Talk, and have a counsellor on staff that is accessible by virtual appointment online or by telephone.
College of the Rockies supports equity and inclusion for all; racism or stigma associated with the COVID-19 pandemic will not be tolerated on our campuses or within our online spaces, in keeping with our existing policies. Should students ever experience stigma or acts of racism, they should immediately contact International Education at 250-489-2751. Our team will connect students to available resources via the College’s Student Services department.