College of the Rockies to Offer Last Tuition-Free Semester of Adult Upgrading

Posted on
Image of VP, Academic and Applied Research
College of the Rockies’ Vice-President, Education Stan Chung encourages adult learners to take advantage of tuition-free adult upgrading courses in September.

College of the Rockies encourages students wishing to take advantage of free tuition for adult upgrading courses to register for the September semester. As of January 2016, tuition will be charged for all adult upgrading classes.

Adult upgrading in post-secondary education focusses on literacy, basic education, academic upgrading and employment preparation.  Courses can include computer studies, education and career planning, English, science, mathematics and social sciences.

Since 2008, adult upgrading has been offered tuition-free at College of the Rockies and other institutions.  Some additional costs – including books, supplies, and other fees – do apply but grants are available to help eligible students pay for these additional costs.

The Ministry of Advanced Education gave institutions the option to start charging tuition as of January 1, 2015.  The College will be charging tuition beginning January 2016.  Grants will be available for low-income students to assist with tuition and other costs.

“Adult upgrading courses provide opportunities for adults wishing to complete their high school education, improve their high school grades, upgrade their skills for entry into the workforce or to complete missing requirements for other college or university courses,” says Stan Chung, College of the Rockies’ Vice-President of Education. “We encourage students at any of our campuses to take advantage of this last semester of tuition-free adult upgrading courses.”

For the September semester, the Cranbrook main campus is offering adult upgrading courses in Biology, Chemistry, English, Math and Physics.  Course selection at the College’s satellite campuses in Creston, Fernie, Golden and Invermere may vary.

To learn more about adult upgrading and available grants, contact an Education Advisor at your nearest campus.  Find out more about adult upgrading.