At College of the Rockies, you will train in our hands-on fully equipped industrial welder shop and take your technical training from our qualified Red Seal Certified instructors.
The 28-week Welder Foundation (pre-apprenticeship) program provides students an
opportunity to gain the skills, knowledge and training necessary to enter the welder trade and covers the program competencies for Level 1 and Level 2 of the Welder Apprenticeship program. Students learn techniques in cutting, gouging, oxy-fuel welding, shield metal arc welding, semi-automatic welding, gas metal arc welding, gas metal arc welding pulsed, flux core arc welding, metal core arc welding and submerged arc welding. In addition, students will be able to perform basic weld joints using gas tungsten arc welding. The program includes classroom theory, demonstrations and practical hands-on training in a welding shop.
In this program, you will learn about:
- Applying Occupation Skills
- Cutting and Gouging Processes (OFC and OFG CAC-A, PAC)
- Fusion and Braze Welding (TB) Using Oxy-Fuel (OFW) Process
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Semi-Automatic and Automatic Welding
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)
- Basic Metallurgy
- Welding Drawings, Layout and Fabrication
For a complete program description, including prerequisite details and technical training content about each level of training see: Welder Foundation Program
You will also take:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Occupational First Aid – Level 1
*Students must complete Occupational First Aid Level 1 within the program or have a current Occupational First Aid Level 1 certificate valid to the end of the program.
When you successfully finish the program you will receive:
- Level 1 and 2 Technical Training credit from SkilledTradesBC
- 300 work-based Training hours
- Certificate of Completion (ITA)
- College of the Rockies Certificate
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent, or completion of a College of the Rockies assessment to an acceptable level.
The following education is highly recommended for student success within the program:
- Workplace MATH 10 and Apprenticeship MATH 12. Either Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11, Trades Mathematics 11, or equivalent
- Either English 12, English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, ENGL 090, or equivalent
If you are a high school student, contact the counseling office at your high school for information on how to become a Youth Train in Trades student and get a jump-start on your trades training while you complete your high school diploma. Learn more about the Youth Train in Trades program.
Tuition and Fees:
|Student Association Fee:||$64.40|
|Bus Pass Fee:||$88.80|
|Occupational First Aid Level 1 Fee:||$139.00|
|Health and Dental Fee:||$229.50|
Additional Student Costs for Personal Protective Equipment and Supplies:
- Steel-toed leather work boots
- Safety glasses
- Welding gloves
- Flame retardant work clothes (cotton or wool)
- Leather welding jacket
- Welding helmet (#11 lens)
- Welding goggles (#5 lens)
- Reference manuals (as listed on third page)
- Personal half mask respirator
- p100 particulate filters (3 – 4 sets)
Why Choose a Career as a Welder?
- It’s an in demand trade!
- According to the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2018 Edition there will be 2,960 job openings by 2027.
- According to Work BC you can earn up to $39.00 per hour!
After graduating from the welder program, you can explore a wide variety of career opportunities with:
- Welder fabricators
- Machine shops
- Aircraft manufacturers
- Ship manufacturers
- Oil and gas pipelines
With experience, you can even move into a project supervisor position or general manager for commercial projects…or even own your own welder business!
Welder Foundation Training Schedule
|*Welder Foundation||FDTN||September 5, 2023||March 28, 2024||28 Weeks|
|*Welder Foundation||FDTN||January 2, 2024||July 12, 2024||28 Weeks|
|*Welder Foundation||FDTN||September 3, 2024||April 4, 2025||28 Weeks|
|*Welder Foundation||FDTN||January 6, 2025||July 18, 2025||28 Weeks|
*Projected | All dates subject to change |